What Is A Cougar?

I have never heard of this before until I have a chat in one dating sites. I am not looking but only chatting. To be honest, I told this foreign guy that I am living with a partner who is younger than me. Suddenly, he laughed and told me that, “Oh, you’re a cougar!”. The word is foreign, so I asked what it was. He told me that it’s a word for older women who are looking for younger men. That guy had irritated me for he kept on laughing.

I instantly searched for the word, “cougar”. Mr. Wikipedia wrote that a cougar is a puma, a mountain cat or a panther. It’s a solitary cat that stalks and ambushes its wide variety of prey. A male cougar hunts while a female cougar stays with her kittens for two years. But then I saw another meaning with Mr. Wikipedia. This time, it’s not under the word cougar, it’s about “Age disparity in Sexual Relationships”. From it, I read that:

Photo Credits: Cougar_American_Pie
“cougar is a slang word for a woman, 40 years of age or older, who pursues younger men, typically more than eight years her junior. The term is also commonly applied to women that are thirty or older. The origin of the word is debated; however, it is thought to have first appeared in print on the Canadian dating website Cougardate.com and has been used in TV series, advertising and film. The 2007 film Cougar Club was dedicated to the subject and in Spring 2009 TV Land aired a reality show called The Cougar. The sitcom Cougar Town explores the difficulty and stigma of many so-called "Cougars".
 Now back to the guy, I’m chatting with: I told him, my understanding of a cougar is an older woman who frequents to bars and look for younger men. They are also financially stable and have its riches. How can I be related to a cougar? First of all: 
  1. I am not a frequent bar visitor;
  2. I am unemployed;
  3. I am not financially stable, either;
  4. I have only one and same younger man who has a job;
  5. He was the one who bought the necessary things needed for both of us;
So, how can I be a cougar? So, I said, "I think you met a lot of older women who prefers younger men. You liked them but turned their back away from you because of  it." How can you meet a sane woman if you act that way? Your poor ego speaks.

Anyway, if there's a cougar or none, what does it make with our own life? Each one of us has it's own fault. As an adult, we have no right to pinpoint our finger on them. It's their life they lead. For the parents, of course, they do whatever they can to protect their children. 


No comments